Judicial Arcology

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic  
   The Mandalorian Crisis Forum Index » Coruscant
Judicial Arcology
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quote  

Halon Dantz was in a speeder, zooming towards the Judicial Arcology along with his M'shento'su'Nikto master, Má-ŕbo Hashî. They had been sent to discuss if the Jedi Enclave on Dantooine could have a greater influence on law enforcement on the planet, as Republic judicials were often too far away to bother.

From what he’d heard, the settlers had little trouble with this idea, and overall things were almost bound to turn out okay. He looked out the window. The altitude meter said that they were at five hundred meters, yet they were still surrounded by buildings. Halon had been to Coruscant before, when he was fourteen, but he didn’t quite remember the buildings being this... large. He looked at his master’s face. Through his alien features, Halon could see that he was concerned. He sensed that the Nikto wary and nervous.

“Master?” Halon tried to open conversation. Hashî responded by looking at him. “I have a really good feeling about this,” the young human said.
“And that is why you are still only a Padawan, my friend,” Hashî replied, “A Jedi must learn to consider every factor. Politicians are selfish nowadays, and this one is no exception.”
Halon frowned quizzically. “But what could he possibly have to gain from this?”
“I wouldn’t know, I’m not a politician. But they make odd schemes; it wouldn’t surprise me if this one did too.” The Knight’s response was worrying, and since Halon trusted in his superior wisdom, he became nervous as well.

They flew the rest of the way in silence, until they finally approached the pyramid-shaped building. The Nikto reminded his apprentice to say nothing unless he was certain it was necessary. Entering the hangar of the Arcology, they spotted an elevator near the place they docked the speeder at. They walked up to it, and pressed the button for the top floor, the tip of the pyramid.

The high-speed elevator took them there in half a minute, and they entered a blue room, adorned with several decorations. In the middle of the room, in front of them was a desk and an aging Twi’lek woman sitting behind a computer terminal. She looked up at them, and immediately recognised them.

“He’s expecting you. Carry on in,” She said in a sweet voice. The two Jedi continued through a door on the left of the desk, and entered another blue room, stepping on a blue carpet, approaching the blue chairs in front of the Adjudicator in his blue robes. Halon looked at his left wrist; they were two minutes early.

The Nikto Knight cleared his throat. “Greetings,” he said, disguising his nerves to the Adjudicator, but not to Halon.

Last edited by Halon Dantz on Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:03 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:29 am Reply with quote  

Unfettered, Isaac turned, regarding the two Jedi coolly and with some slight disdain for the simple, brown robes they wore. His own rather puffed-up finery was a distinct contrast, the cobalt of his robe standing out among the gentler pastel colours of the room. A grand desk was set at a right angle to two walls of transparisteel, giving the Adjudicator’s desk natural light from both behind and the side, though on a cloudy day such as this, little could be seen but the occasional break to the damp streets below.

At a smaller desk closer to the entrance, a Zeltron secretary sat, seeming to take little heed of events as she typed. Her bright pink skin clashed somewhat with the somewhat low-cut blue jacket she wore. Looking up, she peered slightly at the Jedi and motioned for them to approach the larger desk, behind which the Adjudicator was standing rather imperiously.

“Good morning. I take it that you were sent about that world… what is the name of it…” he began. Halon opened his mouth to speak, but the Zeltron secretary supplied it first. “Dantooine.”

“Ah, yes, Dantooine. What exactly is your problem with it? I checked the file on Dantooine, and there is a Mern-class transport stationed there with a full complement of Judicials...”

He left the last hanging, putting the onus on the Jedi to patch over his possibly deliberate ignorance and offence at the situation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote  

Initially, Halon was offended by the Adjudicator’s apparent lack of interest in Dantooine, which had been his home for all his life. The idea that a single Mern-class vessel would be enough to enforce the law on a planet that had several thousand inhabitants was absurd and provocative to him.

But then, remembering his master’s earlier advice, he considered the Adjudicator’s status. The man probably had more important things to worry about, and the affairs of a backwater planet like Dantooine probably seemed like something of lesser concern than, for example, Coruscant or Alderaan, both huge ecumenopoles. In fact, in this light, Halon almost felt ashamed of showing up in the office with his master. He got the notion that the Adjudicator had to understand the situation, and with this realisation, he forgot his place. He did something stupid and spoke without thinking, cutting his master off, who was about to speak.

“We apologise, but the forty Judicials are not sufficient for Dantooine. The Jedi could help with trivial cases that the Judicials cannot be bothered with, especially if doing so require them to travel for long. Recently, for example, farming equipment has been stolen repeatedly from a series of colonists, leaving families almost in financial ruin. We’re sure you’re already very busy, but we’d simply like to help these people with their problems, as there are many despite the rural colonisation.” He tried to come off as friendly and understanding as possible, though he did not quite manage to hide the fact that he was completely inexperienced and nervous, and he almost immediately felt that he’d done something wrong when his master scowled at him. The Nikto conveyed a thought; ”Fool!”

Halon felt ashamed and embarrassed, but did his best to disguise it while he faced the Adjudicator. He then tried to make amends of some sort.

“Excuse me; it was not my place to speak. I apologise.”

Last edited by Halon Dantz on Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:59 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:04 am Reply with quote  

Isaac shrugged slightly and waved off the Padawan’s simpering.

“In my position, I deal and see far worse crimes than speaking out of place… though I would think that it should become a focus for you to learn to hold your tongue.”

Hashî spoke, trying to pave over the mistake his student had made, while through the Force, Halon could easily sense the current of irritation below his master’s calm exterior.

“The Jedi do not wish to wholly keep the law on Dantooine, only the less serious crimes which your Judicials would be wasted doing. After all, they have better things to spend their valuable time on, and the same for the money that supports their work.”

Somewhat appeased, the Adjudicator’s shoulders relaxed a little, and he leaned down slightly to press a button on his desk, bringing a wireframe projection of the planet with the appropriate information into the air.

“The enclave on Dantooine is not common public knowledge outside of that world, of course, and so perhaps it is for the best that the Jedi take further responsibility for its safety. After all, Dantooine is far from the centre of the Republic, out on the borders…” replied Isaac.

“If the Jedi think that they can keep this border-world safe from harm and discovery, then I suppose that is well enough, especially as presently Dantooine drains the Republic Colonisation Authority far more than we gain in taxation… very well, then. Are the Jedi willing to sign to the protection of Dantooine?”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote  

Halon was relieved that the Adjudicator had not taken offense. Had he, the trip to Coruscant would've been in vain, and the way home would be long. But now there was a different issue; was the Adjudicator asking them to take complete Judicial or military control over the planet? It was confusing, and Hashî responded slowly so he could stop if he made a mistake.

"I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure if I follow; are you asking the Jedi enclave to take complete control? We have already denied that we had such intentions." The Nikto's emotions cracked in the Force, and he was almost literally beaming his nerves. He seemed unreasonably uncomfortable in the blue office, as if he had a bad experience with him from a similar encounter; Halon decided that he could have some positive input, for once:

"The Jedi are always willing to serve any of the worlds in the Republic; it is our sworn duty. The defense of Dantooine is one of the enclave's first priorities, and if this means taking Judicial authority, then we will." The Padawan felt he had been a little over the top, but then again, the stereotypical Jedi usually was, so that might have helped him.

He gave his master a desperate look, attempting to bring some comfort to him. The Knight almost smiled. Halon thought of what might happen if the deal worked out well; he might be deemed worthy of Knighthood, and Hashî might be promoted to Master. The stakes were high, and the bet might've been on whatever the Adjudicator would say next.

The Mandalorian Crisis Forum Index » Coruscant
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Page 1 of 1