What's Your Take?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic  
   The Mandalorian Crisis Forum Index » Suggestions
What's Your Take?
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote  
Administrator

Considering we're still waiting for the Force System to get wrapped up, let's see if we can't get something productive done in the meantime.

Out of everything you've seen so far, what what do you like? What don't you like? What would you change? Why would you change it? Just tell us anything you want about anything regarding the game rules, the forums, the website, or anything in particular. Basically, tell us anything that you think could improve this place.

To start things off, I'd like to hear your guys' take on the battle system we should use around here. I've been playing with some ideas, but it still seems a bit complicated, so let's hear what you can tell me. Maybe I can trim it down a bit and make it a bit easier. I'm currently writing a detailed description of it and I'll get that up with an example as soon as I can so you can all see what I'm thinking for it.

For now, just know that it borrows a lot of ideas from the Warhammer tabletop game. The only problem is, with a turn-based system, battles could be a little drawn out if they're very large-scale. I'm also trying my best to make it the first battle system that incorporates a graphical display of the battle, available to anyone viewing the thread; a "battle-map" if you will. That way, it'll avoid confusion as to what ships are doing what and where everything is.

Again, I'll get an example up as soon as I have it ready so you can see it in finer detail. Now, what's your take?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote  

I like the idea of the display...it can get kind of cramped in my head when I'm trying to picture a fleet of 10,000 ISDs and four ESDs fighting a Killik fleet of equal size. Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote  
Administrator

...Will we be little colored circles? Razz

And the only problem with a map is, well, the poor guy making it is likely to have a lot of work on his hands. I mean, the assault on the Star Forge had hundreds of ships on each side. Confused

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote  

Quote:
I mean, the assault on the Star Forge had hundreds of ships on each side.

Not to mention the tiny Republic fleet in the middle. Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote  
Administrator

Haha. Razz

And you look at some of these pictures from the comics, and it looks like both the Republic and Mandalorians are capable of fielding large fleets.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator

Malak wrote:
...Will we be little colored circles? Razz

And the only problem with a map is, well, the poor guy making it is likely to have a lot of work on his hands. I mean, the assault on the Star Forge had hundreds of ships on each side. Confused

With the system I have planned, fleets are divided into simple groups, for the purpose of the battle-map and to make giving orders a lot simpler to those involved. Capital ships are organized into, at most 8 Task Forces while fighters are organized into, at most 5 Fighter Groups. All fleets MUST be organized this way. Thus, all the ships in each group can be treated as a single entity when giving orders, but their stats will be the culmination of all the ships present within it. For example, a task force of two Hammerhead-class Corvettes (which has, let's say an attack rating of 6) would have a total attack rating of 12. If one ship is destroyed in battle, then the attack rating returns to 6. Large capital ships (like the Ravager) must still be within a task force, but can be treated as individually, since they're so big. And since both the Mandalorians and the Republic don't have very many of said huge ships, the map wouldn't get cluttered too badly.

Then, on the battle-map, Task Forces and Fighter Groups are represented as single entities as well. The only exception to this are the very large capital ships, which will be represented individually (but must still be part of a task force). Also shown on the map are lines to show who is attacking who and indicators that show how much damage a group or ship has taken on. Once things are explained, you can pretty much see exactly what's going on in the battle, despite being a very simplified design.

Last edited by Kira Daast on Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator

Good idea... especially now that I understand it. :p

Mind if some people borrow it? >_>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator

Go right ahead. I dunno how well it'll actually work, since it might take a couple of the admin to oversee each battle (one person to deal with the map and another to crunch numbers), but it shouldn't be too bad.

Now spread the word. So my system can take over. >_>

Does anyone have anything else to say about the forums?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator

I'll handle numbers. You do maps. Razz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote  

Now I like it. Having to represent a wing of fighters with 72 individual dots would have been difficult without this system.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator

Ja.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote  

Then again, that'd make for some funny role-playing.

Dodonna: *points at map* Blue Squadron will exploit the breach in the Star Forge's perimeter-
Pilot: Actually, that's Green Squadron.
Dodonna: Very well, then Red Squadron-
Pilot: Blue.
Dodonna: *kicks* That leaves Yellow-
Pilot: Red. *cringes*
Dodonna: *slaps*

Razz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:52 am Reply with quote  
Administrator

You mean Karath. Razz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote  

Meh, Karath's a crybaby. Razz

"We have just the glorious dead—and the soon-to-be glorious dead. I'm one of the latter."
―Rohlan Dyre

Wearer of the Malak Award for Superb Sportsmanship

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote  
Administrator

MANDO! *slices*

Anyway, I'll get to work on the ships and stuff.

The Mandalorian Crisis Forum Index » Suggestions
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Page 1 of 2