Jedi Temple, Meditation Chamber [Surface]

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic  
   The Mandalorian Crisis Forum Index » Coruscant
Jedi Temple, Meditation Chamber [Surface]
 PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote  

[The Jedi Academy, KoTOR OST]

Thud. Thud. Thud.

The patting repetition of a ball against the ceiling of his bunk was the only sound in the cramped room aside from his soft breathing. Dezzi let out a sigh after catching the ball once more, and turned on his side. Across the room was a small desk, a chair, and a locker with his name on it. There was nothing else save for his various odds and ends; Knick knacks he had collected on missions across the galaxy with Master Tenrek and a single holo-image.

"I don't know, Saga," he mouthed off-handedly, returning to his back to throw the ball against the ceiling. "Sometimes I think I'll never be good at this Jedi thing. Master Tenrek says it's only a matter of time before I finally pass the trials and become a Knight like him, but what would I do then? They'll send me all over the place on my own and expect me to know what I'm doing. Not to mention how boring being a Jedi is ..."

The boy sighed again and caught the ball one last time. For a moment, the room remained absolutely silent before he finally got up and went over to the image, tucking it neatly into the back of his locker out of sight. With a click, he locked it and passed through the hissing door into the corridor, heading for a meditation room where Master Tenrek was supposed to let him know how his meeting with the Council went.

Edits include grammar, inclusion of music, and spelling.

Last edited by Dezzi on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote  

Screams.

Detritus snapped back to reality with a start, twin emerald bars of light snapping to life in the silence of the meditation chamber. Before him was silence, emptiness, the area completely devoid of any sentient life. The hanging plants and blossoms surrounding the knurled pods gave the area a warm glow of the Force, a comforting presence meant to assuage a troubled mind and bring balance and serenity to those that sat within.

But those from Thyrsus were not known for their serenity.

Even now, twenty years after he had been taken from his family by the Jedi to be taught the ways of the Force he still felt the vestiges of his earliest childhood gnawing at the base of his skull. The fact that he could not know somebody without engaging them in combat, that he was isolated and alone even as a Jedi, and that no matter what he did he was never able to quite grasp the precepts of calm that the other students picked up with no issue.

Even his passing of the Jedi trials was a bare success. His skill with the difficult and rare two-lightsaber form of Niman was his only saving grace, and the only reason the Council decided to confer the official title of Jedi Knight upon him. However, it had been made abundantly clear that he lacked the reserve, and the resolve, to ever be promoted to Mastery. That, above all else, stung him... that he would watch those he knew he was better than, succeed where he could only fail.

The blades shrank again, dispersing into nothingness as Detrius rose from the seating pod. His footsteps were muffled by the cavernous space and sound-absorbing walls as he walked towards the door, pausing to collect his thoughts. Why was he hearing these screams? Who were they, and why did nobody else seem to perceive them?

The bright sunlight of noon on Coruscant hurt his eyes a moment, and he squinted before his eyes adjusted to the light. There was something afoot... perhaps Dezzi knew something about it. The padawan's troubled tenure at the Temple had resounded rather easily with Jax's own turmoil, and the two had gained a sort of mutual neutrality about one another, never quite trusting yet never overly cautious either. He would be before the Council now... it would be difficult to scrape his Master off to get some private conversation with the Jedi.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote  

Once he had left the Council Chambers, Tenrek walked past Dezzi without saying a word, and just motioned for him to follow him. Tenrek wasn't exactly angry, but he was disappointed. In Dezzi and in himself. He should have realized that his teaching was ineffective when Dezzi failed the trials for a second time.

Dezzi had everything he needed to become a great Jedi Knight, except for patience. Something Tenrek lacked as well. Tenrek had tried to instill patience in the young man, but it seemed hopeless. However, this latest act was something entirely different. Tenrek couldn't let Dezzi get away with thinking that he was able to pull such a stunt and everything would be alright. Being bored was no reason to barge in on the Council.

Once they had reached an empty section of corridor, Tenrek turned to Dezzi, his gaze piercing the boy in front of him. It was clear he was annoyed, and a touch angry. Narrowing his eyes, he said, "What in the name of the Force were you thinking barging into the Council!? You got tired of waiting!? One of the things a Jedi must have is patience, and even though I'm not the best in that field, I at least have the self-control not to enter into the Council uninvited. Maybe it was my failure for not teaching you properly, but if you continue on like this, if you don't learn and fail the trials once more, the Council will be forced to take action. Padawans who cannot pass the trials are sent to the agricultural corps. Do you want that? Do you want to be sent some place where there's no action, and your daily duties are repetitive? If you don't straighten up and actually listen to what I'm telling you, and pay attention while we're on missions, that's where you'll end up. It is up to you to take the lessons you've learned in your nineteen years as a Padawan and apply them. I can't do that for you. You have to actually put in effort to do that. Do you understand?"

Tenrek knew that he was being harsh, but it was necessary. If Dezzi continued on his current course, the Council would send him to the agricultural corps where he couldn't do any harm, and it would be a shame to see someone with Dezzi's talent with the Force to be sent there. If the man was to make it to Jedi Knight, Tenrek had to shock him out of his apathy and get him to listen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote  

Dezzi couldn't help but notice his shoulders drooping and his head sinking. His eyes watched the floor, looking for any little fleck of dirt or crack to keep his eyes from matching his master's. It was the most upfront, loud, and stern Master Tenrek had been with him yet and it left Dezzi a little surprised. In the past, his punishments had been the usual lecture, a "grounding" from what little he had for entertainment, and the occasional physical punishment like push-ups or running. This was entirely different.

"I understand, Master," he let out after Master Tenrek had finished. Still, he kept his head low and eyes away from his master's; He dare not catch that gaze. "But I was five. When I entered the academy, Master. It's only been fourteen years."

Perhaps correcting the disappointed and slightly irate master wasn't the best idea, but he felt it needed to be cleared. After all, it was Master Tenrek who brought it up - in front of the Council no less.

"I'm trying."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quote  

Sighing to himself, Tenrek said, "I know you are, but we both know you're holding back. You could pass the trials if you truly wanted to. You have the skills..."

Thinking back to his days as a Padawan, he remembered Master Kavar's teachings, and how Tenrek strayed from them occasionally. Kavar was usually cryptic with his teachings, preferring that Tenrek make his own observations, and learn the lessons on his own. Perhaps Tenrek should have trained Dezzi the same way, to help him think for himself.

No matter. Dezzi was a capable Jedi. He just needed a push in the right direction, and he'd pick up the finer skills that Tenrek had trouble teaching him. Of course, that was easier said than done, Tenrek felt he could devise a way of bringing it about.

Looking back at the young man, he said, "I'm going to go meditate for a while and clear my head. I'll notify you if the Council has anything more for us to do."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:51 am Reply with quote  

Dezzi thought about it for a moment. All of the work, the years of training, and many preparations that went into his trials were all for nothing. Three times he tried and three times he failed. Why would the fourth be any different?

Because it had to be.

Hearing his master speak in that tone, hearing the disappointment in Dezzi for not applying himself when he clearly had the abilities he needed made his heart ache. Through all the years, the fourteen years as a Jedi, he had never once felt like he belonged. Until now.

"I understand, Master," he said with sudden confidence, raising his eyes to meet Master Tenrek's. "I will pass the trials. I won't fail again, Master, and I won't end up in that stupid farmer's corps. I promise."

He held that gaze for a moment longer, studying his master's eyes. Beyond the disappointment he could see the wise man in him who knew Dezzi better than Dezzi himself. Master Tenrek had raised Dezzi since he was five years old. He was the only family he had and it pained the young padawan to think he had let his master down.

"I'll see you later, Master," he nodded, turning down the corridor. "I think I'm gonna go work on my patience."

Edits include rewriting the post while keeping the theme.

Last edited by Dezzi on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

The Mandalorian Crisis Forum Index » Coruscant
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Page 1 of 1