Capital Ship statistics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic  
   The Mandalorian Crisis Forum Index » Suggestions
 PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote  

Is there? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote  

Maybe instead of needing stats for each rivet and bolt, you could maybe, I dunno, roleplay your strategy instead of relying on a bunch of numbers to make everything easy for you?

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote  

Great idea, I'll go inform the Chief of Staff of the United States Army that he doesn't need to base military operations on the skill or equipment of his troops, he can just guess which ones to use on which targets. It's so simple!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote  

It's not about not roleplaying a strategy, it's about making things clear... or not really about strategy, in fact. Is it wrong for people to know that there is a difference between a few heavy guns and lots of light ones, for example? They're effective against different targets. A ship armed solely with turbolasers will be useless against starfighters, for example.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote  

Danis Valaerum wrote:
Great idea, I'll go inform the Chief of Staff of the United States Army that he doesn't need to base military operations on the skill or equipment of his troops, he can just guess which ones to use on which targets. It's so simple!

Excuse me. I forgot this was a real-world simulation of the United States military. So sorry. Rolling Eyes

Issac Gallien wrote:
It's not about not roleplaying a strategy, it's about making things clear... or not really about strategy, in fact. Is it wrong for people to know that there is a difference between a few heavy guns and lots of light ones, for example? They're effective against different targets. A ship armed solely with turbolasers will be useless against starfighters, for example.

No, but you all are assuming every character in this game is a tactical genius and understands all of this. Seriously, you don't need stats for evey single working bit on a ship to know what it is and is not capable of. If you can't roleplay your way through conflict with the aid of some simple numbers, then you need to out and buy a computer game.

The Fog of War is a real concept. Not everything can be understood and known.

Last edited by Dezzi on Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote  

Not really. If you're a commander of ships, you are likely to have been promoted that far to know what you're doing. And unless you think that the galaxy is composed of bumbling idiots who aren't going to pay any attention to what they have at their disposal and are just going to say "It has guns, let's go and shoot some enemies"...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote  

Fog of War applies to the enemy. If I don't know which of my ships do what, they become pretty useless. Ditto for the Mandalorian players.

I can see Return of the Jedi under those rules now...

ACKBAR: All ships, prepare to treat!
LANDO: You won't get another chance at this, Admiral.
ACKBAR: We have no choice, General Calrissian! Our cruisers can't repel firepower of that magnitude! At least, I don't think so. We lost the manuals.
LANDO: Man, that sucks. Hey, why is that X-wing charging that Star Destroyer?
ACKBAR: I thought X-wings were our capital ship-killers?
LANDO: Don't we use TIE fighters for that?
ACKBAR: No, TIE fighters are the enemy fighters.
LANDO: Oops.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote  

Isaac Gallien wrote:
Not really. If you're a commander of ships, you are likely to have been promoted that far to know what you're doing. And unless you think that the galaxy is composed of bumbling idiots who aren't going to pay any attention to what they have at their disposal and are just going to say "It has guns, let's go and shoot some enemies"...

Most of what happens in Star Wars is because of some bumbling idiot who didn't pay attention to what they had at their disposal ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote  

YAVIN FLIGHT CONTROLLER: "Luke, you've switched off your targeting computer, what's wrong?"

LUKE: "Nothing, I'm all right! It's just that it's a USELESS PILE OF SHIT WHICH DOESN'T TELL ME ANYTHING."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote  

CONTROLLER: Luke, you've switched off your targeting computer, what's wrong?
LUKE: Nothing, I'm all right!
CONTROLLER 2: That's it, he's turned. Activate his fighter's self destruct.
CONTROLLER: Yes sir. [muttered] Turncoat scum...
LUKE: Hey guys? It's beeping... OH HOLY SHIT
[Luke's fighter explodes]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator

Watch your language. It's getting old and annoying. And VIII uses a complex specification system. A number of you are intimately familiar with it.

You do realize it's deliberately made complex to discourage designs, so people actually have to know WTF they're doing instead of going "OMG I MAEKZ TEH ISD KILLERZOR ROFLOMG" or something stupid. In addition, our spec system is so complex that our battlesystem is effectively worthless. It can't be employed with less than three admins actively handling each battle.

Zara's system cuts away a lot of the useless frills. Okay, so you don't know whether the blue wire or the red wire is the polyphasic quantum injector override, and it doesn't matter. Try RPing your battles instead of just throwing statistics around.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote  

I thought the point was that we didn't even have the basic stats that would help us RP.

And yeah, I second the language point. Watch it, Isaac. I've had my eye on you for a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator

Don't you? You have weapons, firepower, arc, shields, hull integrity, speed... You don't need to know if it's a Taim & Bak QWERTY69 Triple Turbolaser cannon. :p

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote  

But the stats don't make much sense. Unless the Courageous is designed to be a sort of underarmed, undershielded, super-expensive target ship? Razz

EDIT: Be on MSN more. I don't care if you're at university!

Last edited by Danis Valaerum on Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote  

Yes, we know firepower, but we don't know what sort of firepower...

The Mandalorian Crisis Forum Index » Suggestions
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Page 2 of 4